In this lesson you will learn how to play some basic piano chords. Surely, the number of chords that exist can seem overwhelming, but you have to start somewhere. You can certainly get by with the chords we will take a look at in this piano lesson. So for now, forget about complicated chords.
We will learn about 6 of the easiest keys to play in on piano. These keys are C, D, E, F, G, and A. In my opinion, the easiest of these keys are C, F and G. So you can probably start with these.
Highly Recommended: Go here for the BEST piano/keyboard course I’ve seen on the Internet.
For each of these six keys, we will learn four basic piano chords. These are what is called I, IV, V and VI chords. Three of them are major chords and the five chord is a minor chord. Now, since some of the chords are found in more than one key, you will actually be learning 14 chords in all. So only fourteen chords to be concerned about. Let's go.
Briefly, let's talk about what are major and minor chords. Major chords consist of three notes. These notes are the root, third and fifth notes in the major scale. Minor chords consist of three notes as well, except that instead of playing the third note in the scale, you play a flat third. In other words you play the note a semitone lower. So minor chords are made up of the root, minor third and fifth of the major scale.
1. The first key we shall look at is the key of C major. This is the first key I learned when I started playing and is probably the first one you should learn as well because it is the easiest and makes use of white keys only.
Easy piano chords in the key of C are C, F, G and A minor.
Believe me when I say that you can play many popular songs knowing these four chords only.
2. The next key you should learn to play in is the key of F.
Basic piano chords in the key of F are F, Bb, C and D minor.
3. Now that you know how to play in the key of F, you should now learn the key of G.
The four easy piano chords in the key of G, are G, C, D and Em.
4. D is another beautiful key to play songs in. Basic piano chords in the key of D are D G A and Bm.
There are two black keys (or two sharps in the key of D).
5. Now that you know the keys of C, F, G and D. You can now learn the four basic chords in the key of A. These chords are A, D, E and F# minor. We have already looked at the chords, A, and D, but we shall list them again, along with the other chords in the key of A.
There are three sharps in the key of A major.
6. Finally, our last key, perhaps a little more challenging than the others because there are four black keys (or four sharps) in this key, is the key of E.
Four basic piano chords in the key of E are E A B and C#m. We already know how to play E and A but shall re-iterate.
You can play many popular songs on the radio knowing the easy, basic piano chords and keys we've looked at in this lesson. All the best and keep practicing.
Learn how to form augmented and diminished piano chords here.
Learn Piano: Go here to read about the best course I've seen for learning to play keyboard and piano. It's called Piano For All.
Search This Site:
Click here to learn how to play keyboards and piano (with Piano For All).
Go here to buy a Yamaha keyboard.
Check out How To Read Music Fast: A 4-Step Beginner's Guide To Reading Music Quickly And Easily.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.